How do I begin a merit badge?
- A Scout is expected to meet the requirements exactly as stated – no more and no less.
- Scouts STARTING a merit badge must use the CURRENT Boy Scout Requirements
- Scouts must FIRST contact the merit badge counselor to ensure he/she is willing to help the Scout. THEN the Scout must get a SIGNED BLUE CARD from the Scoutmaster.
- Merit badge names in BOLD are Eagle required
- Once a Scout has started a merit badge, he can continue to work on those requirements even if new requirements are published. The Scout must choose whether to complete the full set of new requirements or the full set of old requirements.
- If a merit badge pamphlet is updated during the year, a Scout can choose to use either full set of old requirements or new requirements in the pamphlet. Those will show an effective date of the following year (i.e. a pamphlet issued in June of 2008 will say "2009 requirements"). Once the Boy Scout Requirements are updated, all Scouts starting the merit badge must use the new requirements.
- Here is a link to all current merit badges and worksheets http://www.scouting.org/meritbadges.aspx
- Please see the file below for clarification with blue card procedures.